George E. Corson Award application form may be downloaded by CLICKING HERE.
Eligibility: The Applicant Must:
* Be an Active member of Omicron Theta Epsilon.
* Have at least senior standing at the beginning of the next fall semester.
* Be majoring in Biology, Microbiology, or Botany.
* Have completed at least 15 units in biology courses in the major by the beginning of the next fall semester.
* Have at least an overall GPA of 2.7 and at least a 3.0 GPA in the courses required for the major at the time the application is submitted.
* Must be a full-time student the semester for which the scholarship is awarded:
-- Undergraduate - 12 or more semester units.
-- Graduate - 8 or more semester units
* Normally awards will be distributed during the Fall semester registration. Awards of $600 or may will be split between Fall and Spring semesters.
Evaluation: Applicants will be evaluated on the following (Award not based on financial need):
* GPA in courses required for the major (30%)
* Overall GPA (20%)
* Participation in Omicron Theta Epsilon (20%)
* Biologically related extra-curricular activities (15%)
* Other extra-curricular activities (5%)
* Personal essay (10%) (percentages represent approximate weights)
Application: Due by March 1 - Each applicant must submit:
* A personal essay that clearly presents your activities related to items in the evaluation section of this page; your future academic plan; your reason for applying for this award; and why you are qualified to be a recipient of this honor. Remember about 10% of the evaluation is based on your ability to communicate, in a succinct fashion, all of the above.
* A transcript of all completed course work.
* Minimum of one letter of recommendation.
* GPA total for all courses in major.
* GPA for all coursework - cumulative.
* A list of coursework in progress.
* A list of anticipated courses for the next academic year.
* The general university scholarship application form.
Scholarship Selection Committee is composed of:
* Dean of Natural Sciences, Omicron Advisor(s)
* Faculty member other than Omicron Advisor(s)
* Omicron President or other officer and an active Omicron member other than an officer.